Please note that most of these publications can be accessed through the publications section of my page on Researchgate.
Publications listed as ‘forthcoming’ have been accepted and are being prepared for publication (copy editing, etc.). If you are interested in one of these publications and wish to obtain a digital copy, please send me an e-mail through the contact page.
Journal papers (peer-reviewed)
- Kouw, Matthijs, and Arthur Petersen. Forthcoming. “Diplomacy in Action: Latourian Politics and the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.” Science & Technology Studies.
- Naber, Rolf, Matthijs Kouw, Rob Raven, and Ton Dassen. Forthcoming. “Scaling up Sustainable Energy Innovations? Smart Grids in the Netherlands.” Energy Policy.
- Kouw, Matthijs. Forthcoming. “Risks in the Making: The Mediating Role of Models in Water Management and Civil Engineering in the Netherlands.” Berichte Zur Wissenschaftsgeschichte.
- Kouw, Matthijs. 2016. “Standing on the Shoulders of Giants – and Then Looking the Other Way? Epistemic Opacity, Immersion, and Modeling in Hydraulic Engineering.” Perspectives on Science 24 (2): 206–27.
- Kouw, Matthijs. 2014. “Designing Communication: Politics and Practices of Participatory Water Quality Governance.” International Journal of Water Governance 2 (4): 37–52.
Journal papers (not peer-reviewed)
- Kouw, Matthijs. Forthcoming. “The Risk Equipment Deserves More Credit: Modelling, Epistemic Opacity, and Immersion.” Technosphere.
- Meadows, Maureen, and Matthijs Kouw. 2017. “Future-Making: Inclusive Design and Smart Cities.” Interactions 24 (2): 52–56.
- Kouw, Matthijs. 2017. “Kosmopolitiek en de slimme stad.” nY 32: 163–76.
- Kouw, Matthijs. 2012. “Object-georiënteerde politiek?” Wijsgerig Perspectief 52 (4): 32–39.
- Kouw, Matthijs. Forthcoming. “Validating Models in the Face of Uncertainty: Geotechnical Engineering and Dike Vulnerability in The Netherlands.” In Cultures of Prediction, edited by Matthias Heymann, Gabriele Gramelsberger, and Martin Mahony. London: Routledge.
- Kouw, Matthijs, and Sjoerd van Tuinen. 2015. “Blinded by Science? Speculative Realism and Speculative Constructivism.” In Breaking the Spell, edited by Anna Longo and Sarah de Sanctis, 115–30. Milan: Mimesis International.
- Kouw, Matthijs, Andrea Scharnhorst, and Charles van den Heuvel. 2013. “Exploring Uncertainty. Classifications, Simulations and Models of the World.” In Virtual Knowledge: Experimenting in the Humanities and the Social Sciences, edited by Paul Wouters, Anne Beaulieu, Andrea Scharnhorst, and Sally Wyatt, 89–125. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- Moody, Rebecca, Matthijs Kouw, and Victor Bekkers. 2013. “Virtually Visual. The Visual Rhetoric of GIS in Policy Making.” In Virtual Knowledge: Experimenting in the Humanities and the Social Sciences, edited by Paul Wouters, Anne Beaulieu, Andrea Scharnhorst, and Sally Wyatt, 127–49. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- Zant, Tijn van der, Matthijs Kouw, and Lambert Schomaker. 2012. “Generative Artificial Intelligence.” In Theory and Philosophy of Artificial Intelligence, edited by Vincent C. Müller, 107–20. Berlin: Springer.
- Munnichs, Geert, Matthijs Kouw, and Linda Kool. 2017. “Een Nooit Gelopen Race: Over Cyberdreigingen En Versterking van Weerbaarheid.” Den Haag: Rathenau Insituut.
- Kouw, Matthijs, Lizette Pater, and Edo Schreuders. 2004. “No Fear or Hope but New Weapons: On Privacy and Technology.” In Challenges for the Citizen of the Information Society (Vol. 1 of Proceedings of the 7th International Conference Ethicomp 2004, 14-16th April, Syros, Greece), edited by T. W. Bynum, N. Pouloudi, S. Rogerson, and T. Spyrou, 550–57. Syros: University of the Aegean Press.
- Kouw, Matthijs. Forthcoming. “René Ten Bos: Water.” Krisis.
- Kouw, Matthijs. 2015. “Model-Based Reasoning in Science and Technology: Theoretical and Cognitive Issues.” International Studies in the Philosophy of Science 29 (1): 105–8.
- Kouw, Matthijs. 2014. “Paul M. Leonardi. Car Crashes without Cars: Lessons about Simulation Technology and Organizational Change from Automotive Design.” Isis 105 (3): 668–69.
- Kouw, Matthijs. 2012. “Towards a Robust Realism?” Science as Culture 21 (3): 393–98.
- Kouw, Matthijs. 2010. “Diane M. Rodgers: Debugging the Link between Social Theory and Social Insects.” Science Studies 23: 99–101.